Cloud security and network security fall under the security umbrellas that are used to protect the information of an organization, but each one of them has a specific role and a purpose.
Cloud-based security solutions protect the servers, networks, apps, containers, and a lot more, while network security solutions safeguard only the networks. Each of them has an integral role to play in safeguarding a business.
Let’s find out more about each of these security tools, their role, and what are the pros and cons of cloud security vs network security.
What is Cloud Security?
Cloud security refers to a broad spectrum of policies, applications, technologies, and controls that are put together to protect the cloud data, customer’s privacy, and assist regulatory compliance along with setting authentication laws for devices and individual users.
It plays a prominent role in securing cloud computing environments from internal and external cybersecurity threats. Often, cloud security posture management is used to automate the systems, to identify and mitigate risks through automated compliance monitoring and security tests.
Role of Cloud Security
There are constant security threats, and they are evolving and getting more sophisticated. Hence, it is crucial to work with a cloud provider that offers the best-customized cloud security for your infrastructure.
1. Centralized Safety– Like in cloud computing where all the applications and data are centralized, cloud-based security solutions centralize the protection. Cloud-based business networks have many devices and endpoints that could be tough to handle and can lead to pilferage in security. Hence, having common security protocols and tools improves traffic analysis, streamlines the management of network events, and ensures disaster recovery plans.
2. Cost-effective – With cloud storage and security, the investment in dedicated hardware is eliminated. It reduces both administrative overheads and capital expenditure.
3. Easy Administration – With a reliable cloud services provider or cloud security platform in place, you do not need constant security updates or manual security configurations, which involve huge manpower. With the cloud, all the security administration takes place in one place and is managed entirely for you.
4. Reliability – Cloud-based security solutions are completely secure and dependable, allowing safe access to data and applications within the cloud irrespective of the device and the place you are operating from.
What is Network Security?
Network security includes policies and practices put into place to monitor and prevent unauthorized access to data. Its main role is to protect the network and its data from different layers of intrusions using hardware and software solutions. The most used network security solutions are:
- Anti-virus software
- Intrusion detection and prevention systems (IDS/IPS)
- Virtual private networks (VPN)
Network security consists of three different controls –
1. Physical – It prevents unauthorized personnel from having physical access to the network tools like routers. Network security offers controlled access through locks, biometric authentication, and others for it.
2. Technical – Technical security safeguards data stored on the network and in transit. It protects systems and data from unauthorized personnel and also against harmful activities from people within the organization.
3. Administrative – It includes security processes and policies that control user behavior, such as the procedures to authenticate users, the level of access to the network, and how IT members put processes in place.
Cloud Security vs Network Security
Network security is a branch of cloud security. Both the solutions work towards the same goal of securing the business from potential threats and damage.
However, cloud security is the overarching concept of safeguarding the business from cyber threats, while network security has a more pointed focus on the network. Internal security processes such as software updates, password protocol, and secure Wi-Fi all come under network security but are also needed for a robust cloud security setup.
Network security has many layers of security checks at every step with its controls of protection and policies. Only authorized users can access the information stored. On the other hand, cloud security works on Web Application Firewalls (WAF), Encryption, and Identity Access and Management (IAM) products that provide overall protection to data on all the platforms.
Cloud security vs network security is often a debate that businesses indulge in while planning for their overall security. The network architecture is complex in the present times and always faces threats with attackers trying to exploit vulnerabilities. Hence, it is pertinent to have the best security processes and tools like Indusface AppTrana in place.
Both cloud-based security solutions and network security solutions are of paramount importance as they help in safeguarding against such threats. They are not the same but are equally vital to any organization.
They branch off into their specific areas of expertise to protect against the ever-growing landscape of cyber threats. Invest wisely and wholeheartedly in these two areas, and you will stand to benefit in the long run.