Kali Linux 2022.3 was released recently, which contains new tools for hacking that were never before available. All the updates in this release can be downloaded or updated directly from the web browser, so you don’t need to wait.
Each year, Kali Linux versions have been regularly released with new features by the offensive security team. The Kali Linux distribution is an open-source Linux distribution based on Debian that is designed for penetration testing and digital forensics purposes.
Kali Linux aims to deliver a high-quality user experience to the cybersecurity community as a result of the new features developed.
New Features & Highlights of Kali Linux 2022.3
The following are the newly-added features and key highlights of Kali Linux 2022.3, that we have mentioned below:-
- Discord Server: Kali’s new community real-time chat option has launched!
- Test Lab Environment: Quickly create a test bed to learn, practice, and benchmark tools and compare their results
- Opening Kali-Tools Repo: We have opened up the Kali tools repository & are accepting your submissions!
- Help Wanted: We are looking for a Go developer to help us on an open-source project
- Kali NetHunter Updates: New releases in our NetHunter store
- Virtual Machines Updates: New VirtualBox image format, weekly images, and build-scripts to build your own
- New Tools In Kali: Would not be a release without some new tools!
- Xrdp users (like those who use Win-KeX) will notice a new look for their login screen.
- There was a confusion between the fuse and fuse3 that has been resolved.
- The network repository has been maintained a bit, and the size of /kali has been reduced from 1.7Tb to 520Gb!
Kali is Available on Discord
A new Discord server has been set up by Offensive Security named Kali Linux & Friends that the company is planning to maintain.
The Kali Linux community has a new meeting place where they can get together and talk about everything Kali Linux related in real-time as it happens. In this server, all members share a common interest, and all have access to the server at the same time.
The real-time chat function of Discord is like the social network that it is, since the quality of any network depends primarily on the quality of its members.
Test Lab Environment
Whatever field you are in, whether it is Information Security or any other, in order to master your craft, you must know your tools.
In order to get a better understanding of how they work, you can read their code, look at their help screens, or read their manuals in order to gain a better understanding.
It is common for experienced professionals to take the time to practice before trying to obtain these answers. It is at this point where the “Test Bed/Laboratory” is necessary to resolve the problem.
There are a number of things that Offensive Security have packaged up to make it easier for you to set up your test lab, and here they are:-
- DVWA – Damn Vulnerable Web Application
- Juice Shop – OWASP Juice Shop
Here below we have mentioned all the newly-added tools:-
- BruteShark: Network Analysis Tool
- DefectDojo: Open-source application vulnerability correlation and security orchestration tool
- phpsploit: Stealth post-exploitation framework
- shellfire: Exploiting LFI/RFI and command injection vulnerabilities
- SprayingToolkit: Password spraying attacks against Lync/S4B, OWA and O365
Kali NetHunter Updates
It should be noted that for now they have updated the apps on the NetHunter Store as follows:-
- aRDP, aSPICE, bVNC, Opaque = v5.1.0
- Connectbot = 1.9.8-oss
- Intercepter-NG = 2.8
- OONI Probe = 3.7.0
- OpenVPN = 0.7.38
- Orbot = 16.4.1-RC-2-tor.0.4.4.6
- SnoopSnitch = 2.0.12-nbc
- Termux = 118
- Termux-API = 51
- Termux-Styling = 29
- Termux-Tasker = 6
- Termux-Widget = 13
- Termux-Float = 15
- WiGLE WiFi Wardriving = 2.64
Kali ARM Updates
- Kernel 5.15 is now available for all Raspberry Pi devices.
- Arm.kali.org is a site that helps you keep track of Kali-arm by giving you an overview and statistics for it.
- There is a default size of 256 MB for a partition to be used as the boot partition for all Kali ARM devices.
- In order to prevent Pinebook from going to sleep and becoming unable to wake up, the broken sleep modes have been removed.
- U-boot version 2022.04 has been selected for USBArmory MKII.
Download Kali Linux 2022.3
You can download Kali Linux 2022.3 from the official Kali Linux portal in both 32-bit as well as 64-bit versions.
The following command is used to update Kali Linux 2022.3 to the latest version, so you can use it if you already have Kali Linux installed on your system and wish to update your older version of Kali Linux:-
┌──(kali㉿kali)-[~] └─$ echo “deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list
┌──(kali㉿kali)-[~] └─$ sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade
┌──(kali㉿kali)-[~] └─$ cp -rbi /etc/skel/. ~
┌──(kali㉿kali)-[~] └─$ [ -f /var/run/reboot-required ] && sudo reboot -f