Offensive Security released a new version of its Penetration testing distro Kali Linux 2022.4, with several new features, hacking Tools, Kali NetHunter pro versions, and desktop updates.
Each year, Kali Linux versions have been regularly released with new features by the offensive security team. Kali Linux is a linux based Penetration Testing and hacking distro developed by Offensive Security.
Kali Linux contains several hundred penetration testing tools targeted towards various Information Security tasks, such as Penetration Testing, Security Research, Computer Forensics, Reverse Engineering, Vulnerability Management, and Red Team Testing.
New Features in Kali Linux 2022.4
- Microsoft Azure – We are back on the Microsoft Azure store
- More Platforms – Generic Cloud, QEMU VM image & Vagrant libvirt
- Social Networks – New homes, keeping in touch & press packs
- Kali NetHunter Pro – Announcing the first release of a “true” Kali Linux on the mobile phone (PinePhone / Pro)
- Kali NetHunter – Internal Bluetooth support, kernel porting video, firmware updates & other improvements
- Desktop Updates – GNOME 43 & KDE 5.26
- New Tools – As always, various new packages added
In this Kali Linux 2022.4 version, the Offensive security team focused on Kali NetHunter, and a new release of its Pro version named Kali NetHunter Pro, AKA a bare metal installation of Kali Linux.
Kali NetHunter is a free & Open-source Mobile Penetration Testing Platform for Android devices, based on Kali Linux.
Also, this Kali NetHunter version comes with Internal Bluetooth support, and also Wireless firmware has been updated from its old version.
“First of all, we make available SD card images for the PinePhone and the PinePhone Pro to dual boot alongside the main OS. Soon we will release alternative versions with Plasma Mobile as well as installers so you can install Kali NetHunter Pro onto the internal flash memory.” Offensive Security Team said.
The following video helps you to port a Kali NetHunter to your device:
Kali Linux 2022.4 version comes with the newly added hacking tools of the following:
- bloodhound.py – A Python-based ingestor for BloodHound
- certipy – Tool for Active Directory Certificate Services enumeration and abuse
- hak5-wifi-coconut – A user-space driver for USB Wi-Fi NICs and the Hak5 Wi-Fi Coconut
- ldapdomaindump – Active Directory information dumper via LDAP
- peass-ng – Privilege escalation tools for Windows and Linux/Unix* and MacOS.
- rizin-cutter – reverse engineering platform powered by rizin
Kali Linux is now added with Microsoft Azure helping penetration testing communities to deploy the image and perform penetration testing from the cloud.
It was first announced in August that a Kali image has loaded on Azure Marketplace in Kali Linux 2022.3 update.
“Out of the box, currently, there is no graphical user interface, or any tools pre-installed. Should you want the default toolset (
kali-linux-default) or any other combination of metapackages, it should be like any other Kali platform. For installing a desktop environment, we have the following kali-docs page: Setting up RDP with Xfce” Kali Linux Team said.
GNOME & Plasma Version Update:
GNOME has improved with the following enhancements:
- Shell updates, including a new quick settings panel and an improved theme.
- Continues the migration of multiple programs to GTK4 with the libadwaita library.
- New GTK3 theme based on the adw-gtk3 project with Kali’s tweaks, which brings a fresh look, and makes the interface coherent between the different GUI libraries.
How to Update Kali Linux 2022.4
To upgrade, your existing installation, choose a platform or directly download ISO images for new installation and live distributions.
To upgrade to the latest version:
To Check the Version:
Here we have included the notable upgrades of Kali 2022.4. The full changelog is available on Kali’s website.
You are also recommended to review our Kali Linux Tutorials which cover dozens of Kali Linux Tools. Also, Learn the Kali Linux course and complete Kali Linux Commands List.
Penetration Testing As a Service – Download Free Red Team & Blue Team Workspace