The Magecart threat group has created this skimmer that mainly steals data related to payments from the Magento website, which is an e-commerce platform.
There is malicious code embedded in the checkout page and payment form of the compromised website which attempts to collect the following payment information:-
- Credit card number
- Debit card number
- Credit card owner’s name
- Debit card owner’s name
- Credit CVV number
- Debit CVV number
- Credit card expiry date
- Debit card expiry date
There is also a check written into the malicious code which determines that the data is in the right format and displays that information.
An open-source e-commerce platform, Magento is completely based on PHP, and it’s a platform that facilitates the creation of e-commerce websites for programmers.
The Magento card skimming technique exploits vulnerabilities in Magento’s e-commerce software to steal credit cards from customers. While they do so, they are able to access the source code of the website.
Following are some of the best cybersecurity practices that we believe to be essential:-
- Consider using an anti-virus and internet security software package that has a reputable name in the industry.
- The use of warez and torrent websites for downloading pirated software must be avoided.
- Where possible, you should enforce multi-factor authentication in all areas of your business and use strong passwords.
- Make sure you verify the authenticity of any links and email attachments before you open them.
- Make sure that employees are aware of what threats may exist, such as phishing websites and URLs that are untrusted.
- Updating your operating system, applications, and devices is essential.
- Ensure that URLs that are likely to be used for spreading malware, such as torrents and warez sites, are blocked.
- In order to protect the data from being stolen by malware, you need to monitor the beacon at the network level.
- On the employee’s systems, make sure that a Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Solution is enabled.
Download Free SWG – Secure Web Filtering – E-book