Network Adapter :
Network adapter is nothing but an component associated with the Computer’s/Laptop Internal’s hardware which is used to communicate with other computers/appliances over the network.
Now normally we are using Multiple network Adapters, for an Ethernet Connection, VMware, Wireless Connections, we can apply considerations on which network to be used. In our guide we are to examine the behaviour by using an Windows 10 machine.
Windows 10 is good enough and help us in picking correct network adapter if multiple network adapter is available. Now in this guide consider we are having Multiple Network adapters like Ethernet, Wireless, Vmware and VPN.
To Change Network Adapter Priorities
We are having two options in hand to change the adapater priorities, either with powershell or Network Interface Menus. So let’s dive deeper.
- To Launch powershell, tap on Windows key, type powershell and click on Windows powershell that displayed.
- Now run the Command Get-NetIPInterface which displays all network adapters, their interface index number, and interface metric.
- Now to change the priority of the adapter run the command Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex “Index of the adapter you want to change the priority for” -InterfaceMetric “new priority of the adapter”.
Example: Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex “11” -InterfaceMetric “90” ‘
- Adapters with a lower InterfaceMetric number are prioritized over adapters that have a higher number.
- Now again you can run the command to view the adapter details.
- Tap on Windows key, type ncpa.cpl and hit the Enter-key to open Network Connection Settings.
- Right click on the adapter you like to modify and then go to Properties.
- Locate Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), select it, and click on the Properties button. Note: If your connection is IPv6, select Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) instead.
- Locate and hit the advanced button.
- Then you can a Network metric box, uncheck Automatic metric box and and enter a new custom Interface metric number (Ensure that you are providing a vaule 2 or higher, becuase 1 is reserved for loopback ).
- Click ok and repeat the steps if you are suppose to do for Multiple adapters.
[…] Network Adapter Priorities | Windows […]