The investigation report says that the Conti ransomware has been attacked more than 400 times in the U.S. and other international organisations. To secure the system, CISA and FBI have recommended describing things to the advisory that include network segmentation, multi-factor authentication, operating system, and up-to-date software.
While Conti considers the ransomware and does that variation that time developers proceed used affiliated cyber actor and make the successful attack, Conti actors mainly use the open-source Rclone command for doing the data, exfiltration so that after stealing the victim’s sensitive data they can employ the double extortion technique.
In this, they demand the victim to pay a ransom to release the encrypted data if that ransom has not been paid.
As per FBI and NSA network defender has to apply the mitigation to reduce the risk which will get compromised by the Conti ransomware attack.
- It requires multi-factor authentication to get remote access from an external source.
- They enable the strong spam filter that prevents the phishing email that comes from the end-users and implement the user training program that discourages the user from visiting a malicious website for opening malicious attachments. Filter emails also contain the executable file to prevent them from reaching the end-users.
- They also set the antivirus program to conduct the regular scan so that network assets can get up-to-date signatures.
- They do scanning for vulnerability and upgrade all types of software and operating system. Application, and firmware everything goes in a timely manner.
- Removing applications is not necessary on day to day basis. But the Conti threat actor has to monitor and manage the software to aid the malicious exploitation of the ant organisation’s enterprise.
- The detection response tool has to allow a high degree of visibility to help effectively, to protect malicious cyber actors.
- They have to secure the user account, which has been done by the audit administrative user who can configure the access control.
Few Additional Resources
CISA has a no-cost cyber hygiene service that helps organisations to get access, identity, and exposure to threats including ransomware. There are interagency resources that provide the guidance of the ransomware that protect, detect, and do the response.