A security researcher discovered a 3 critical remote code execution vulnerabilities in Ruckus Wireless routers let malicious hackers bypass the routers and take control of it remotely.
Ruckus Networks are known as selling wired and wireless networking equipment and software.
The vulnerabilities are discovered in the web-based interface allow attackers to exploit the router without a password and take complete control over the internet.
The vulnerability allows gaining the root access on the Routers, but it is very difficult to exploit since the exploitation coordinating with 3 different severe vulnerabilities.
During the research, researchers examined the 33 different access points firmware and concluded that all of them were vulnerable to remote code execution vulnerability.
By taking control of the vulnerable router, attackers can monitor the unencrypted traffic on the enterprise network and redirect the user to a malicious website where they can drop the malware and also steal sensitive information such as user name and password using phishing attacks.
Gal Zror, a researcher who finds the vulnerabilities demonstrates the 3 remote code executions in Ruckus Wireless Routers, and the techniques used to find and exploit them in the annual Chaos Communication Congress conference.
According to finding report, The Demonstrations includes the following:
- It overviews Ruckus Wireless Routers equipment and their attack surfaces. Explain the firmware analysis and emulation prosses using our dockerized QEMU full system framework.
- -Demonstrate the first RCE and its specifics. Describe the webserver logic using the Ghidra decompiler and its scripting environment.
- -Demonstrate the second RCE using stack overflow vulnerability.
- -Lastly, demonstrate the third RCE by using a vulnerability chaining technique.
- All Tools used in this research will be published.
According to Ruckus spokesperson Aharon Etengoff “By design, our devices do not fetch and install software automatically to ensure our customers can manage their networks appropriately,”
Released fixed the bugs and released a new 126.96.36.199.92 software update and highly recommend their customers to update their router and apply the patch.