Trickbot Malware reemerging with new ticks and future to steal various sensitive information such as passwords, History, cookies from application & Browsers.
New Trickbot arriving with new password grabber module that targets the Applications & browsers including Microsoft Outlook, Filezilla, WinSCP, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge.
Cybercriminals continually adding new sophisticated functionality with Trickbot malware that provide more evasion future and bypass the security software detection.
It mainly targets both corporate network and individuals in various countries such as United States, Canada, and the Philippines. There is a various module that trickbot had in previous attackers and now TrendMicro researchers identified password new grabbing module (pwgrab32) along with various modules.
Trickbot Malware Infection process
Malware authors working hard to keep adding new future and its getting download the update from the new modules via C2 server and there are many modules are added within this Trickbot campaign, let see it one by one.
Initially, a new module that researchers find out from this new Trickbot malware is pwgrab32 or PasswordGrabber that perform stealing operation in browsers and applications from affected windows system.
It steals the Passwords from the following applications – FileZilla, Microsoft Outlook.
The same module stealing various sensitive information apart from the passwords including Usernames and Passwords, Internet Cookies, Browsing History, Autofills, HTTP Posts fromChrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge.
The second module is shareDll32 helps Trickbot malware to propagate across the infected network and download the copy of itself from the C2 server.
It uses 2 main functions WNetEnumResource and GetComputerNameW in order to the enumerates and identifies systems connected on the same domain.
According to Trend Micro research,To make the malware more persistent, it has an auto-start service that allows Trickbot to run whenever the machine boots. This service can have the following display names:
- Service Techno
- wormDll32 module – Identify servers and domain controllers in the network using NetServerEnum and LDAP queries.
- networkDll32 module -Scan the network and steal relevant network information
- importDll32 module – Responsible for stealing browser data such as browsing history, cookies, and plug-ins
- systeminfo32 module – Gather system information such as OS, CPU, and memory information, user accounts, lists of installed programs and services.-
- mailsearcher32 module – searches the infected system’s files to gather email addresses for information-stealing
- injectDll32 module – monitors websites that are banking applications.