The evolution of technology in Cybersecurity allows us to do amazing things that we only imagined doing in the past. Computers and technology have pushed the boundaries of the human mind and how society functions today.
From smartphones to driverless cars, the world is becoming more and more connected, for better or for worse.
As information and communication technologies continue to integrate into our daily lives with things such as banking, shopping, and sharing, it also leaves us at risk of cyber-crimes and cyberattacks.
With great power comes great responsibility, and it cannot be said enough that our information and data is a great responsibility that can be easily targeted and manipulated if left defenseless.
What is Cybersecurity?
Our information that we put out into the internet is stored as a memory to use whenever we want to. Things like personal information, banking information, addresses and contacts, are sensitive pieces of information that require protection from those who are trying to access and use it for malicious intents.
The practice of Cybersecurity is the protection of any and all data from said attacks, whether its a network, device, or program.
Cybersecurity is growingly more dangerous for companies and consumers alike as cyberattacks are designed to steal and access information for extorting money or destroying sensitive data.
It can crumble businesses and damage the personal lives of consumers having their data breached.
Because of this, the importance of cybersecurity is of utmost importance in today’s world and continues to grow.
How can Cybersecurity help?
- With sophisticated technologies and programs being developed, the security of those technologies is protecting our investments; monetary and intellectual properties.
- If a system were to crash even momentarily, the damage done could be devastating and irreversible.
- Building a defense against cyberattacks can save businesses from leaking consumer’s information, it can protect individuals from identity theft, it can protect your devices from malware, and systems from crashing.
- Preventing cyberattacks from happening is just as important as stopping hackers and protecting information.
- Security analysts can pinpoint weaknesses in a certain system, or develop a strategy for safely storing and accessing information.
- Cybersecurity continues to be an important factor in today’s businesses because it is vital for survival in today’s world.
- The implementations of cybersecurity lessen the pressure and the stress on our increasingly technological lives, allowing us to feel at ease with everything we do online.
Why Do we study Cybersecurity?
The relevancy of IT careers is at an all-time high, not only because of the development of new technologies but also because of the importance of these positions.
From government agencies to private businesses and corporations, the job market is wide open and very lucrative.
Cybersecurity is also an area that is ever-growing, finding new ways to be integrated into almost anything related to IT and Computer Sciences.
Colleges and Universities are preparing and creating new courses for the IT industry, and right now is at the forefront of pioneering new and exciting ways to study and learn.
There are several focuses within cybersecurity that deal with different platforms and programs, allowing students to have a bit of freedom in what part of Cybersecurity they want to study.
According to Georgetown University’s study on the value of college majors, Cybersecurity Master’s Degree can earn up to $17,000 more than just a Bachelor’s degree and choosing the best cybersecurity course from reputed online Academy such as Ethical Hackers academy will strongly enhance your skills in cybersecurity and ethical hackers to start your career in cybersecurity.
It’s also said that the growth of the industry is steadily increasing because of the continued threat of cyberattacks and data breaches that have happened in recent years.
Providing meaningful work for the progressive world is important, and cybersecurity means protecting the livelihood of billions of people.
What kind of Jobs are There for Cyber security Majors?
Master in Cybersecurity Course & degrees are extremely valuable today, as many companies are hiring entry-level, mid-level, and advanced-level positions for several different focuses.
The wide range of jobs available makes the market safe and secure as well as lucrative. Here are some jobs that are in-demand for cybersecurity:
● Security Architect
● Security Engineer
● Security Manager
● Security Director
● Security Analyst
● Incident Reporter
● Penetration Tester
● Risk Management
Finding the right job for you depends on the type of skill set you have and what you might be interested in.
Tips for starting a degree in Cyber security
A Master’s in Cybersecurity builds upon your foundational knowledge of computer sciences, so the range of skills needed are equivalent to those in any computer science and IT course. Just as with any major, there are several tips to keep you at the top of the class.
1. Networking Computer Sciences are usually collaborative and depend on sharing codes and input with others. With cybersecurity, networking with others in the field is a great resource to learn from.
2. Develop Leadership Skills Plenty of high-level positions require some sort of business acumen, as they are mostly major businesses and corporations hiring. They want security directors and engineers that can make the big decisions and manage a team to efficiently head security.
3. Find Your Passion Having a passion for computer sciences is important for your longevity in cybersecurity. Whether it’s the fulfilling feeling you get or the excitement from new technologies, finding your passion will make studying and working in this industry worthwhile.
4. Read, Read, Read! Computer Science majors forget to read new material to keep their minds fresh. Books and articles on new technologies can be a useful resource for students. Not only does it keep your brain sharp, but it also keeps yourself up-to-date with the latest information.
5. Keep up with your homework The idea of homework, especially in higher education seems like a drag. But within the courses of cybersecurity, homework is essential for practice and revision of your codes and development of projects. Make sure to use all your resources to help with all your needs!