- Open the Powershell with admin privileges and run the script
Features of this script – Windows Auditing Tool
WINSpect script provides audit checks and enumeration
- Installed security products
- World-exposed local filesystem shares
- Domain users and groups with local group membership
- Registry autoruns
- Local services that are configurable by Authenticated Users group members
- Local services for which corresponding binary is writable by Authenticated Users group members
- Non-system32 Windows Hosted Services and their associated DLLs
- Local services with unquoted path vulnerability
- Non-system scheduled tasks
- DLL hijackability
- User Account Control settings
- Unattended installs leftovers
Firewalls & Antivirus products
- Above figure shows script successfully found out firewall and antivirus software and their functionality is enabled or disabled.
Local shares & UAC
- Above figure shows script successfully found out local shares for everyone and User Account Control is Enabled.
Configurable services & Unquoted path services:
- Above figure shows script successfully found out services running in the background which is unquoted and configurable service.
Registry keys with autorun:
- Above figure shows script successfully found out registry keys with autoruns.
DLL Hijackable & Hosted service – Windows Auditing Tool
- Above Figure shows script checks whether the DLL is hijackable or not and also hosted service status.
Scheduled tasks – Windows Auditing Tool
- Above Figure shows script checks scheduled tasks.
WINSpect is very handy Windows Auditing Tool for quick assessments of security weaknesses and needs further hardening.
For depth understanding of the Windows Registry, we recommend referring our Windows Registry Analysis. The truth is that the Registry is a veritable goldmine of information for both the administrator and forensics investigator.