Wireshark 3.2.3 released with a fix for vulnerabilities that results in the BACapp dissector crash and fix for other bugs.
Wireshark is known as the world’s most popular network protocol analyzer. It is used for troubleshooting, analysis, development, and education.
It is used by network administrators to troubleshoot network and by the security, analyst to examine the packets. It is a widely used tool in organizations.
For macOS users with Wireshark 3.2.0, automatic updates may fail, for those versions, it recommended to update later versions manually.
An attacker could exploit the vulnerability by injecting a malformed packet onto the network or convincing the administrators to read a malformed packet trace file, results in a BACapp dissector crash.
The vulnerability can be fixed by upgrading to 3.2.3, 3.0.10, 2.6.16 or later.
Updated Protocol & File Support
Following are the protocols updated includes AFS, BACapp, Bluetooth, CoAP, Diameter3GPP, F5 Ethernet trailer, GSM RLC MAC, ISIS, ISIS CLV, ISIS HELLO, ISIS LSP, ISIS SNP, NAS 5GS, NR RRC, pcap, QUIC, RPCAP, RTCP, SOME/IP-SD, TLS, and WSP.
Other Bugs Fixed
- Add (IETF) QUIC Dissector. Bug 13881.
- Rename profile name loses list selection. Bug 15966.
- Dissector bug warning dissecting TLS Certificate Request with many names. Bug 16202.
- Only ACKs, but no DATA frames are visible in -> TCP Stream Graph -> Time Sequence (tcptrace). Bug 16281.
- Copy>Description does not work properly for all tree items. Bug 16323.
- Importing profiles in Windows – zip files fail and from directory crashes Wireshark. Bug 16410.
- Packet List selection is gone when adding or removing a display filter. Bug 16414.
- Check for updates, and auto-update, not working in 3.2.1. Bug 16416.
- f5ethtrailer: TLS trailer creates incorrect CLIENT keylog entries. Bug 16417.
- Buildbot crash output: randpkt-2020-03-04-18423.pcap. Bug 16424.
- File open dialog shows garbled time stamps. Bug 16429.
- RTCP Bye without optional reason reported as [Malformed Packet]. Bug 16434.
- [oss-fuzz] #20732: Undefined-shift in dissect_rtcp. Bug 16445.
- SOMEIP: SOME/IP-SD dissector fails to register SOME/IP ports, if IPv6 is being used (BUG). Bug 16448.
- tshark logs: “…could not be opened: Too many open files.”. Bug 16457.
- Typo in About Wireshark > Keyboard Shortcuts > Unignore All Displayed. Bug 16472.
- Buildbot crash output: randpkt-2020-04-02-31746.pcap. Bug 16477.
The new version can be downloaded from here.
Training Course: Master in Wireshark Network Analysis – Hands-on course provides a complete network analysis Training using Wireshark.