Recently, Wireshark has released a new version of its free and open-source packet analyzer, Wireshark 3.4.9 with all new features and protocols.
Wireshark is one of the world’s most widespread network protocol analyzers, and the analyzers are used for different purposes, like:-
Wireshark runs on Windows, Linux, and macOS, with separate downloads for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the operating systems.
What’s New in Wireshark 3.4.9?
Here are the new things added:-
- Extensive examination of hundreds of protocols, with more being annexed all the time
- Live capture and offline review
- Standard three-pane packet browser
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
- Obtained network data that can be browsed through a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
- It has the most compelling display filters in the industry
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Read/write various capture file formats
- Capture files packed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
- Live data can be viewed from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- Coloring rules can be implemented to the packet list for expeditious, automatic analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript, CSV, or plain text
Here are the fixes made in this new version:-
- TShark PDML output embeds “proto” elements within other “proto” elements Issue 10588.
- Filter expressions correlating against single-octet hex strings where the hex digit string equals a protocol name don’t work Issue 12810.
- AMQP 0.9: dissector fails to handle Content-Body frame split across TCP packets Issue 14217.
- IEEE 802.15.4: Missing check on “PAN ID Present” bit of the Multipurpose Frame Control field Issue 17496.
- Wireshark ignored some characters in the filename when transporting SMB objects. Issue 17530.
- tshark -z credentials: assertion failed: (allocator→in_scope) Issue 17576.
- IS-IS Extended IP Reachability Prefix-SID not decoded properly Issue 17610.
- Error when reloading Lua plugins with a capture file loaded via a custom Lua file handler Issue 17615.
- Absolute time UTC field filters are constructed incorrectly, don’t match the packet Issue 17617.
- GUI freezes when clicking on a large (non-capture) file in File chooser Issue 17620.
- Crash after selecting a different profile while capturing Issue 17622.
- BT-DHT reports malformed packets that are actually uTP on the same connection Issue 17626.
Updated Protocol Support
Here is the list of all updated protocol support:-
- Aruba IAP
- DCERPC SPOOLSS
- GSM A-bis OML
- GSM A-I/F COMMON
- GSM SIM
- IEEE 1905.1a
- IEEE 802.15.4
- ISIS LSP
- ISObus VT
- USB HID
- VSS Monitoring
New and Updated Capture File Support
- CAM Inspector
- Ixia IxVeriWave
The vendors of Linux and Unix mostly provide their own Wireshark packages, and therefore one can usually install or simply update Wireshark utilizing the package management system specific to that platform.
Moreover, while downloading it users will get a list of third-party packages on the download page on the Wireshark website.
But, this new version of Wireshark has many features and it also fixed many bugs that we have mentioned above, so, users must update their Wireshark for better performance as soon as possible.
The new version can be downloaded from here.