Offensive Security has recently released the new version of Kali Linux, Kali Linux 2022.1 that brings some exciting new features, and this version is the first release of 2022.
In this new version, Offensive Security has completely revised the look and feel of Kali Linux 2022.1 that includes:-
- New backgrounds for the desktop
- New login and the start screen
And here, the most surprising thing that they have announced is from now on, this should be done annually in order to better distinguish between the different versions of Kali Linux.
Kali Linux 2022.1: What’s new?
Besides all other features, in this version, the developers of Kali Linux have mainly focused on the visual department as compared to the earlier versions.
And below, we have mentioned all the newly added features in Kali Linux 2022.1 by the developers of Kali Linux:-
- Visual Refresh – Updated wallpapers and GRUB theme.
- Shell Prompt Changes – Visual improvements to improve readability when copying code.
- Refreshed Browser Landing Page – Firefox and Chromium homepage has had a makeover to help you access everything Kali you need.
- Kali Everything Image – An all-packages-in-one solution now available to download.
- Kali-Tweaks Meets SSH – Connect to old SSH servers using legacy SSH protocols and ciphers.
- VMware i3 Improvements – Host-guest features properly work now on i3.
- Accessibility Features – Speech synthesis is back in the Kali installer.
- New Tools – Various new tools added, many from ProjectDiscovery!
New tools in Kali Linux 2022.1
In total, there are six tools that are added by the Offensive Security in Kali Linux 2022.1, and here they are mentioned below:-
- dnsx – Fast and multi-purpose DNS toolkit allows running multiple DNS queries.
- email2phonenumber – An OSINT tool to obtain a target’s phone number just by having his email address.
- naabu – A fast port scanner with a focus on reliability and simplicity.
- nuclei – Targeted scanning based on templates.
- PoshC2 – A proxy-aware C2 framework with post-exploitation and lateral movement.
- proxify – Swiss Army knife Proxy tool for HTTP/HTTPS traffic capture, manipulation, and replay on the go.
Here below we have mentioned all the other improvements done in Kali Linux 2022.1:-
- Accessibility improvements.
- New packages are available for the ARM64 architecture.
- Linux Kernel 5.15.
- Using a setting in kali-tweaks, you can now enable legacy algorithms, ciphers, SSH.
- To remove the skull icon, exit code, and the number of background processes, shell prompt tweaks are available.
Download Kali Linux 2022.1
If you want to update your Kali Linux or want to download the Kali Linux 2022.1, you just have to follow the steps that we have mentioned below.
For upgrading your existing version to the latest version, follow the command:-
echo “deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade
cp -rbi /etc/skel/. ~
[ -f /var/run/reboot-required ] && sudo reboot -f
But, if you want to download the Kali Linux 2022.1 independently, then you can download the ISO images from here for new installs and live distributions.