Google Blocked a new Spyware Family Lipizzan that is capable of extracting user’s email, SMS messages, location, voice calls, and media. They examined the code and it refers to famous cyber arm company Equus Technologies.
Lipizzan was blocked by Google in its early stage itself, they found around 20 Lipizzan apps and less than 100 devices in total. They keep on Enhancing Google Play Protect capabilities to block more sophisticated spyware attacks.
It is a sophisticated Multistaged spyware, the first stage was identified by Google play protect that imitate app like backup and Cleaner. After the installation, Lipizzan would load stage two “license verification” which survives infected device.
Then it would root the device with known exploits and extracts data to C&C server. It is capable of performing the following tasks.
Recording from the device microphone
Taking photos with the device camera(s)
Fetching device information and files
Fetching user information (contacts, call logs, SMS, application-specific data)
Even though the app type and the stage downloading method changed, security experts from blocked it as soon after upload. You get a complete list of samples from Android developers blog page.
- To stay secure use a reputable mobile security solution to detect and remove the threats.
- Do download apps only from the official market.
- Before downloading, check for the number of installs, ratings and, most importantly, the content of reviews.
- Ensure you have opted into Google Play Protect.
- Keep your phone patched to the latest Android security update.