World’s leading Penetration distribution Kali Linux 2020.2 released with new improvements, changes with login, PowerShell by Default, and other features.
With the latest release of Kali Linux 2020.2, offensive security introduced new dark and light themes for KDE Plasma. the KDE plasma is the workspace environment created by KDE particularly for linux systems.
Powershell was added to repositories with the Kali Linux 2019.4, so starting from 2019.4 you can install PowerShell if required by using this command.
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt install -y powershell
Now the Powershell added with kali primary metapackages, “kali-linux-large” not with default metapackage if you select the metapackage then Powershell gets installed.
With Kali Linux 2020.1, superuser account root/toor moved to kali/kali, now that was implemented with the ARM images also in Kali Linux 2020.2.
“We also warned back in 2019.4 that we would be moving away from an 8GB minimum SD card, and we are finally ready to pull the trigger on this. The requirement is now 16GB or larger.”
In Kali Linux 2020.2, Notable change with installed is that kali-linux-everything was removed as an install option to avoid long wait time and the offensive security team cache kali-linux-large allowing complete offline installation.
New latest packages and icons are added with the release, tool makers are recommended to use Python 3 as Python 2 has now reached “End Of Life”.
“we have also started to refresh our package logos for each tool. You’ll notice them in the Kali Linux menu” reads release post.
New Key Packages
Like previous updates, Kali Linux 2020.2 has released some of the new packages of the following:-
- GNOME 3.36 – a few of you may have noticed a bug that slipped in during the first 12 hours of the update is available.
- Joplin – Kali Team planning on replacing CherryTree with this in Kali Linux 2020.3!
- Python 3.8
Kali Linux 2020.2 NetHunter Updates
- Nexmon support has been revived, bringing WiFi monitor support and frame injection to wlan0 on the Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Sony Xperia Z5 Compact, and more!
- OpenPlus 3T images have been added to the download page.
- 160 different kernels added to the repository, allowing NetHunter to support over 64 devices! Yes, over 160 kernels and over 64 devices supported. Amazing.
If you are already having a Kali Linux and want to upgrade;
[email protected]:~$ echo "deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade
[email protected]:~$ [ -f /var/run/reboot-required ] && sudo reboot -f
For new installation you can download from here.
To check after upgradation for Kali Linux 2020.2;
[email protected]:~$ grep VERSION /etc/os-release