Reddit suffered a massive hack, multiple subreddits have been defaced during the last 24 hours, and the attackers posted messages supporting Donald Trump’s reelection campaign.
Reddit administrators urged users to enable two-factor authentication (2FA) on their accounts and to change their passwords.
The campaign is an ongoing incident with moderator accounts being compromised and used to vandalize subreddits. We’re working on locking down the bad actors and reverting the changes, said Reddit Admin.
Following are some of the impacted subreddits;
r/CFB (Canadian Football League)
r/TPB (The Pirate Bay’s Reddit channel)
r/BlackMirror (TV show)
/r/Buffy (TV show)
r/Avengers (Movie franchise)
r/Gorillaz (music band)
r/49ers (NFL team)
/r/BostonCeltics (NBA team)
r/Leafs (Toronto Mapple Leafs)
/r/EDM (electronic dance music channel)
r/Subaru (car maker)
r/freefolk (Game of Thrones fan channel)
r/DestinyTheGame (video game)
r/KingkillerChronicle (book series)
According to reports number of subreddits accounts has been compromised by the hackers and they also tweeted that Reddit mods’s and easy to take over.
- Reddit moderators are advised to look for the following signs to check for account compromise.
- You received an email notification that the password and/or email address on your account changed but you didn’t request changes.
- You notice authorized apps on your profile that you don’t recognize.
- You notice unusual IP history on your account activity page.
- You see votes, posts, comments, or moderation actions that you don’t remember making or private messages that you don’t remember sending.
“We have officially confirmed that none of the accounts that were compromised had 2fa enabled at the time of the compromise”, Reddit said.
Reddit sent out a notification to all affected account owners and helping them to get account access back.